COVID-19 - OFFICE PROCEDURE CHANGE:
The office will be staffed and services will be provided to the public by the following methods.
Birth certificate request:
- Apply by mail using the Birth application form. (submit check, app & copy of ID) See Obtaining Birth Certificates by Mail section #1-5 below for all necessary information.
- Apply online through VitalChek. Scroll down to #6 for the link & further information. (pay online, upload ID & Identity verification form through VitalChek)
- Use drop box at Town Hall. Include Birth application form below, check and copy of ID.
- To pay by credit card, complete the attached form and submit with application.
- Birth records from 2003 to current can be requested through any town hall in CT.
Any questions can be submitted by phone (860-647-3037) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Newborn birth certificates are available to purchase 10 business days after the birth has occurred.
Corrections or Name Change:
- See Legal Name Change on Birth Record link for information on what documentation to submit in order to make the change. Accepted by mail or drop box and include on the envelope Attn: Lisa.
- All other corrections please call 860-647-3037 and ask for Lisa or e-mail email@example.com. The documentation required to make the change will be determined at that time.
We would love your feedback! Please complete the quick 4 question survey by clicking the link.
Who has access to birth records? (after October 1, 1996)
Birth Certificate Application (by mail)
Legal Name Change on a Birth Record Request
**Apply & Pay online for a vital record: Scroll to #6 VitalChek**
Birth Certificates may be obtained IN PERSON or by mail:
Obtaining Birth Certificates In Person
Birth Certificates are processed immediately in person between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:50 p.m.
People who were born in Manchester or whose parents lived in Manchester at their time of birth, can be issued certified copies of birth certificates either by the Manchester Town Clerk, or the Town Clerk in the town where their birth occurred.
Newborn birth certificates are available to purchase 10 business days after the birth has occured.
Obtaining Birth Certificates by Mail (Quick Turn-Around)
Provided that all information required is included on your request, applications are processed and mailed within the same day we receive them. Information must be legible.
1. Send a letter or the completed application including:
- full name and date of birth on the certificate being requested
- parents' full name when birth occurred (including mother's full maiden name)
- make sure to sign the request or application before mailing
- indicate your choice of full form ($20.00) ( full form required for passports)
- or wallet size ($15.00) birth certificate (This gives only the name, sex, date of birth, and date of filing. It DOES NOT satisfy the proof of identification requirements needed for passport or a driver's license, and most schools are now requiring the full form to register a child.)
2. The person who is requesting the birth certificate must send a photocopy of their valid driver's license, valid state issued photo ID, or valid passport, and a phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions.
DO NOT SEND PHOTOCOPIES OF EXPIRED DRIVER'S LICENSES!
- social security card
- current automobile registration
- recent copy of utility bill showing name and current address
- checking account deposit slip stating name and current address
- current pay stub with name and current address
3. Include a bank check or money order made payable to "Manchester Town Clerk". (NO personal checks will be accepted.)
4. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return. All birth certificates are sent out via regular mail.
5. If you would like overnight return delivery you must include a pre-paid envelope for this service. Requests may be sent to us using an overnight provider at: Town Clerk's Office, 41 Center Street, Manchester, CT 06040 (Do not use the P.O. Box).
6. ONLINE ORDERS through VITAL CHEK: The Town of Manchester has partnered with an independent company called VitalChek Network Inc that provides the service to accept and process requests online. Once the order is received electronically with all of the proper paperwork and payment, the order will then be processed and placed in the mail. VitalChek can be reached through its website, www.vitalchek.com. An additional $7.00 fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express(r), Discover(r), MasterCard(r) or Visa(r). If you require a vital record to have expedited shipping, you can pay an additional fee to have it sent by UPS.
a. During the Vitalchek application process online, under "select a birth
certificate" section, make sure the order is being submitted to the
Town of Manchester and NOT to Connecticut Dept. of Public Health.
b. If needed, the completed application with signature and current ID can be emailed
for more efficient processing rather than faxed. The town email link is below.
REQUESTING A BIRTH CERTIFICATE FOR A PERSON WHO WAS ADOPTED:
If a new birth certificate is created at the time a person is adopted, the original birth certificate is sealed in a confidential file.
Certain persons are eligible to obtain an uncertified copy of an original birth certificate of an adopted person without a court order. To be eligible you must be the person named on the original birth certificate and at least 18 years old, or such person’s adult child or grandchild.
Uncertified copies of original birth certificates are for informational purposes only. It is a superseded certificate that has no legal purpose. It cannot be used for legal proof of identity or as a substitute for an official certified birth certificate.
- If you are eligible to request a copy of an original birth certificate without a court order, complete the Application For Copy of Original Birth Certificate for Adult Adoptees
- Submit the completed application to the local registrar of the town where the adopted person was born along with a photocopy of a government issued photographic identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, or other government issued photo ID. Do not submit originals. Also, send the applicable fee ($65). If you are the adopted person’s adult child or grandchild, you must also send documentation (such as a birth certificate) verifying the relationship to the registrant.
- Any person other than the adopted person, or the adopted person's adult child or grandchild must obtain a court order allowing the release of the original birth record. After receiving the court order, follow the directions on how to order an original certificate of an adopted person mentioned above. Be sure to include the original court order along with your application.
Health History of Biological Family:
Health History information related to the adopted person’s birth family may be available at the Department of Children and Families. Also, there may be a form on file at the Department of Children and Families indicating whether a birth parent would like to have contact with the adopted person, or the adopted person’s child or grandchild. To find out whether this information is available and to obtain this information go to the Department of Children and Families website or contact them at:
505 Hudson Street, 10th Floor
Hartford, Connecticut 06106
Puerto Rico's New Birth Certificate Law:
Under the new law, all Puerto Rico birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will be invalidated so that new, more secure certificates can be issued.
United States residents born in Puerto Rico will be able to request and receive their new birth certificates through a simple process by mail or on line at www.prfaa.com/birthcertificates/ starting July 1, 2010. The $5. fee will be waived for those over 60 and veterans.
Purchasing Policy for the Town Clerk's Office