Who has access to birth records? (after October 1, 1996)
Birth Certificate Application
Legal Name Change on a Birth Record
Birth Certificates may be obtained IN PERSON or by mail
Obtaining Birth Certificates In Person
Birth Certificates are processed immediately in person between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:50 p.m.
People who were born in Manchester or whose parents lived in Manchester at their time of birth, can be issued certified copies of birth certificates either by the Manchester Town Clerk, or the Town Clerk in the town where their birth occurred.
Obtaining Birth Certificates by Mail (Quick Turn-Around)
Provided that all information required is included on your request, applications are processed and mailed within the same day we receive them. Information must be legible.
1. Send a letter or the completed application including:
- full name and date of birth on the certificate being requested
- parents' full name when birth occurred (including mother's full maiden name)
- make sure to sign the request or application before mailing
- indicate your choice of full form ($20.00) ( full form required for passports)
- or wallet size ($15.00) birth certificate (This gives only the name, sex, date of birth, and date of filing. It DOES NOT satisfy the proof of identification requirements needed for passport or a driver's license, and most schools are now requiring the full form to register a child.)
2. The person who is requesting the birth certificate must send a photocopy of their valid driver's license, valid state issued photo ID, or valid passport,and a phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions.
DO NOT SEND PHOTOCOPIES OF EXPIRED DRIVER'S LICENSES!
- social security card
- current written verification of identity from employer (on letter head)
- current automobile registration
- recent copy of utility bill showing name and address
- checking account deposit slip stating name and address
- current pay stub with name on it
3. Include a bank check or money order made payable to "Manchester Town Clerk". (NO personal checks will be accepted.)
4. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return. All birth certificates are sent out via regular mail.
5. If you would like overnight return delivery you must include a pre-paid envelope for this service. Request may be sent to us using an overnight provider at: Town Clerk's Office, 41 Center Street, Manchester, CT 06040 (Do not use the P.O. Box).
6. Town of Manchester does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached through its website, www.vitalchek.com. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express(r), Discover(r), MasterCard(r) or Visa(r).
6a. During the Vitalchek application process online, under "select a birth certificate" section, make sure the order is being submitted to the Town of Manchester and not Connecticut Dept. of Public Health.
6b. The completed application with signature and current ID can be emailed for more efficient processing rather than faxed. The town email link is below.
Puerto Rico's New Birth Certificate Law
The government of Puerto Rico has enacted a new law aimed at strengthening the issueance and usage of birth certificates to combat fraud and protect the identity and credit of all people born in Puerto Rico.
Under the new law, all Puerto Rico birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will be invalidated so that new, more secure certificates can be issued.
United States residents born in Puerto Rico will be able to request and recieve their new birth certificates through a simple process by mail or on line at www.prfaa.com/birthcertificates/ starting July 1, 2010. The $5. fee will be waived for those over 60 and veterans.
Purchasing Policy for the Town Clerk's Office