COVID-19 - OFFICE PROCEDURE CHANGE:
The Town Clerk's office is currently NOT accepting walk in traffic. The office will be staffed and services will be provided to the public by the following methods.
Birth certificate request:
- Apply by mail using the Birth application form. (submit check, app & copy of ID) See Obtaining Birth Certificates by Mail section #1-5 below for all necessary information.
- Apply online through VitalChek. Scroll down to #6 for the link & further information. (pay online, upload ID & Identity verification form through VitalChek)
- Use drop box at Town Hall. Include Birth application form below, check and copy of ID.
- To pay by credit card, complete the attached form and submit with application.
- Birth records from 2003 to current can be requested through any town hall in CT.
Any questions can be submitted by phone (860-647-3037) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Newborn birth certificates are available to purchase 10 business days after the birth has occurred.
Corrections or Name Change:
- See Legal Name Change on Birth Record link for information on what documentation to submit in order to make the change. Accepted by mail or drop box and include on the envelope Attn: Lisa.
- All other corrections please call 860-647-3037 and ask for Lisa or e-mail email@example.com. The documentation required to make the change will be determined at that time.
We would love your feedback! Please complete the quick 4 question survey by clicking the link.
Who has access to birth records? (after October 1, 1996)
Birth Certificate Application (by mail)
Request a Legal Name Change on a Birth Record
**Apply & Pay online for a vital record: Scroll to #6 VitalChek**
Birth Certificates may be obtained IN PERSON or by mail
Obtaining Birth Certificates In Person
Birth Certificates are processed immediately in person between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:50 p.m.
People who were born in Manchester or whose parents lived in Manchester at their time of birth, can be issued certified copies of birth certificates either by the Manchester Town Clerk, or the Town Clerk in the town where their birth occurred.
Newborn birth certificates are available to purchase 10 business days after the birth has occured.
Obtaining Birth Certificates by Mail (Quick Turn-Around)
Provided that all information required is included on your request, applications are processed and mailed within the same day we receive them. Information must be legible.
1. Send a letter or the completed application including:
- full name and date of birth on the certificate being requested
- parents' full name when birth occurred (including mother's full maiden name)
- make sure to sign the request or application before mailing
- indicate your choice of full form ($20.00) ( full form required for passports)
- or wallet size ($15.00) birth certificate (This gives only the name, sex, date of birth, and date of filing. It DOES NOT satisfy the proof of identification requirements needed for passport or a driver's license, and most schools are now requiring the full form to register a child.)
2. The person who is requesting the birth certificate must send a photocopy of their valid driver's license, valid state issued photo ID, or valid passport, and a phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions.
DO NOT SEND PHOTOCOPIES OF EXPIRED DRIVER'S LICENSES!
- social security card
- current automobile registration
- recent copy of utility bill showing name and current address
- checking account deposit slip stating name and current address
- current pay stub with name and current address
3. Include a bank check or money order made payable to "Manchester Town Clerk". (NO personal checks will be accepted.)
4. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return. All birth certificates are sent out via regular mail.
5. If you would like overnight return delivery you must include a pre-paid envelope for this service. Requests may be sent to us using an overnight provider at: Town Clerk's Office, 41 Center Street, Manchester, CT 06040 (Do not use the P.O. Box).
6. ONLINE ORDERS through VITAL CHEK: The Town of Manchester has partnered with an independent company called VitalChek Network Inc that provides the service to accept and process requests online. Once the order is received electronically with all of the proper paperwork and payment, the order will then be processed and placed in the mail. VitalChek can be reached through its website, www.vitalchek.com. An additional $7.00 fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express(r), Discover(r), MasterCard(r) or Visa(r). If you require a vital record to have expedited shipping, you can pay an additional fee to have it sent by UPS.
a. During the Vitalchek application process online, under "select a birth
certificate" section, make sure the order is being submitted to the
Town of Manchester and NOT to Connecticut Dept. of Public Health.
b. If needed, the completed application with signature and current ID can be emailed
for more efficient processing rather than faxed. The town email link is below.
Puerto Rico's New Birth Certificate Law
The government of Puerto Rico has enacted a new law aimed at strengthening the issuance and usage of birth certificates to combat fraud and protect the identity and credit of all people born in Puerto Rico.
Under the new law, all Puerto Rico birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will be invalidated so that new, more secure certificates can be issued.
United States residents born in Puerto Rico will be able to request and receive their new birth certificates through a simple process by mail or on line at www.prfaa.com/birthcertificates/ starting July 1, 2010. The $5. fee will be waived for those over 60 and veterans.
Purchasing Policy for the Town Clerk's Office