Who has access to birth records? (After October 1, 1996)
Birth certificates are on file for anyone born in Manchester OR whose mother resided in Manchester at the time of birth.
If legally adopted, provide your adoptive name and adoptive parent's information.
If you had your name legally changed but did not change it on your birth certificate, provide a copy of the court documents authorizing such name change.
In accordance with C.G.S. 7-51 - Examination of Birth Records and an Opinion from the Office of the Attorney General, the following details accessibility to vital records in Connecticut:
1. Birth Records more than 100 years old
- Any Person
- You are the registrant, and you are 18 years of age or older
- You are the Parent and requesting your child's birth certificate
- You are the Grandparent requesting your Grandchild's birth certificate - you must provide your OWN & the child's PARENT'S long form birth certificate
- You are the Spouse requesting your Spouse's birth certificate -you must provide your the marriage license
- You are a Chief Elected Official of Municipality or Agent
- You are the Local Health Director of the town where the birth occurred or where the mother was a resident at the time of the birth
- You are an Attorney - must provide legal documentation of representation
- You are a member of an incorporated Genealogical Society or a Society Authorized to Conduct Business in Connecticut
- You are a person authorized by Court Order, Legal Guardian or Conservator of person NOT estate - legal documentation required
- You are a State or Federal Agency employee and have an authorized release from the registrant who is 18 years of age or older
INFORMATION CONTAINED IN BIRTH CERTIFICATES WILL NOT BE GIVEN OUT VIA TELEPHONE OR THE INTERNET UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, NEITHER CAN REQUESTS BE FAXED TO OUR OFFICE. REQUESTS WITH ORIGINAL SIGNATURES ONLY WILL BE ACCEPTED. BIRTH CERTIFICATE REQUESTS WITHOUT PROPER IDENTIFICATION AND FULL BIRTH INFORMATION WILL BE REJECTED. FOR YOUR OWN CONVENIENCE PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE MET ALL REQUIREMENTS SPECIFIED ABOVE BEFORE SENDING OUT YOUR REQUESTS.