COVID-19 - OFFICE PROCEDURE CHANGE:
The Town Clerk's office is currently NOT accepting walk in traffic. The office will be staffed and services will be provided to the public by the following methods.
Death certificate request:
- Apply by mail using the Death application form. (submit check, app & copy of ID)
- Apply online through VitalChek. See Online request and payment section for the link & further information. (pay online, upload ID & Identity verification form through VitalChek)
- Use drop box at Town Hall. Include Death application form, check and copy of ID.
- To pay by credit card, complete the attached form and submit with application.
Once the request is received, staff will proceed to process and return the final product by mail as long as all requirements are met.
Any questions can be submitted by phone (860-647-3037) or e-mail (email@example.com)
All corrections please call 860-647-3037 and ask for Lisa or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The documentation required to make the change will be determined at that time.
FUNERAL HOMES filing death cert and requiring permits:
- If a burial permit is required, please fax (860-647-3029) the completed death cert ahead of time.
- Death certificates and permits can be submitted for filing by mail or by drop box only during business hours as the Town Hall. Please call when certificates are left in the drop box. Any certificates or permits requested will be returned by mail or a we can call for you to pick up. Please indicate your preference when the request is submitted.
- If certificates and permits are required to be filed and returned within the same day, DO NOT come to the office between the hours of 12-2:45pm. If a burial permit is required, please fax (860-647-3029) the death cert ahead of coming. Call 860-647-3037 when you arrive to make the exchange.
- Request certified copies of an already filed certified death certificate by mail or drop box. The copies will be returned by mail.
- Correction letters can be submitted by mail or drop box with Attn. to Lisa.
We would love your feedback! Please complete the quick 4 question survey by clicking the link.
Certified copies of death certificates can be obtained for anyone who was living in Manchester at the time of the event or who died in the Town of Manchester, Connecticut from 1853 until present. If you are looking for the records of someone who has died out of town but within the State of Connecticut, please contact the Town Clerk's office in the town where the death occurred or you may call the State DPH Customer Service Office at (860) 509-7700.
If you are looking for information on how to obtain Vital Records from other states, please refer to the link for the National Center for Health Statistics . If you don't have it already, you will need Acrobat Reader in order to view this information.
For anyone who died on or after July 1, 1997, certified copies that show the social security number of the deceased will be issued to the immediate family members only! Certified copies of death certificates without social security numbers will be issued to anyone else.
Death records are available by request to the public. All vital record requests must be done in person or by way of postal mail. Please do not try to request vital records over the telephone or via email. Vital record requests that do not meet the requirements specified by the State of Connecticut will be refused.
Obtaining Death Certificates by Mail
To obtain a certified copy of a death certificate by mail please include the following information:
- Name and date of death
- Include photocopy of driver's license
- Indicate relationship to deceased (include supporting documentation if SSN is needed)
- $20.00 per copy, check or money order - made payable to Manchester Town Clerk's Office
- Self addressed stamped return envelope
Town of Manchester
Town Clerk's Office
41 Center Street
P.O. Box 191
Manchester, CT 06045-0191
Online request and payment option:
The Town of Manchester does not accept online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached through its website, www.vitalchek.com. An additional $7.00 fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express(r), Discover(r), MasterCard(r) or Visa(r). If you require a vital record to have expedited shipping, you can pay an additional fee to have it sent by UPS.
certificate" section, make sure the order is being submitted to the
Town of Manchester and NOT to Connecticut Dept. of Public Health.
6b. The completed application with signature and current ID can be emailed
for more efficient processing rather than faxed. The town email link is below.