Connecticut General Statute section 7-51a allows a qualified genealogist access to all vital records to conduct genealogical research, except those that are deemed confidential.
Also, records containing social security numbers that are protected by federal law cannot be directly accessed by a genealogist.
- Birth records for births occurring after November 1, 1990
- Death and marriage records for deaths and marriages occurring after July 1, 1997
To view these restricted records, the social security numbers will need to be redacted first. Staff members will obtain the records for the genealogists upon request.
In order to ensure eligibility, the genealogist must present a valid membership card issued by one of the following Connecticut genealogical societies:
- Connecticut Ancestry Society, Inc.
- Connecticut Professional Genealogists Council, Inc.
- Connecticut Society of Genealogists, Inc
- Descendants of the Founders of Ancient Windsor, Inc.
- French-Canadian Genealogical society of Connecticut, Inc.
- Friends of Godfrey memorial Library, Inc.
- Gaelic-American Club, Inc.
- Godfrey Memorial Library, Inc.
- Indian and Colonial Research Center, Inc.
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Connecticut, Inc.
- Killingly Historical Genealogical society, Inc.
- Middlesex Genealogical Society, Inc.
- Polish Genealogical Society of Connecticut and the Northeast, Inc.
- Southern Connecticut Ancestry network, Inc. (SCAN)
- Southington Genealogical Society, Inc.
Researchers are required to provide a government issued identification card to ensure that the person accessing the records is the person named on the genealogy card.
Genealogists are permitted to make notes from all vital records. Issuing plain copies of all vital records is prohibited. If desired, genealogists can purchase certified copies of all vital records for $20.00 apiece.
If you are looking up more than three vital records, it is advisable to call us ahead of time so we can have them ready to view. At all times, please come prepared with a list of records you want to view. We are a very busy office and depending on the day, we may not be able to spend the time needed to accomplish your goal for that day. By sending a list of records you want to view, this allows us to better help you in your research.
**CUSTOMER SERVICE SATISFACTION SURVEY FOR TOWN CLERK'S OFFICE**
We would love your feedback! Please complete the quick 4 question survey by clicking the link.