COVID-19 - OFFICE PROCEDURE CHANGE:
The Town Clerk's office is currently NOT accepting walk in traffic. The office will be staffed and services will be provided to the public by the following methods.
Marriage certificate request: (already married)
- Apply by mail using the Marriage application form. (submit check, app & copy of ID)
- Apply online through VitalChek. See Online request and payment section for the link & further information. (pay online, upload ID & Identity verification form through VitalChek)
- Use drop box at Town Hall. Include Marriage application form, check and copy of ID.
- To pay by credit card, complete the attached form and submit with application.
Once the request is received, staff will proceed to process and return the final product by mail as long as all requirements are met.
Any questions can be submitted by phone (860-647-3037) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
All corrections please call 860-647-3037 and ask for Lisa or e-mail email@example.com. The documentation required to make the change will be determined at that time.
Applying for a Marriage License: (getting married)
- Marriage must take place in Manchester.
- Review the Marriage License Requirements from the section below.
- If the requirements are met, see Marriage License Application section below.
- Click on Marriage License Application Link below to submit the application to the office.
- Call 860-647-3037 to schedule an appointment date of when to come in, pay and sign for the license. Make sure to have the following information prepared.
- Application confirmation number
- Date of marriage and the officiator's name and phone number (JP list)
- Bring in a check for the appropriate amount. $50.00 for applying and if desired, an extra $20.00 to order a certified copy to be mailed after the license has been returned by the officiator.
- Provide both Groom/Bride's social security number
- Submit a copy of both parties IDs by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Officiators returning completed marriage license:
- Return by mail in envelope provided by Town Clerk’s office.
- Place in envelope (do not fold record) and use the drop box only during office hours at Town Hall. Please call when license is left in the drop box.
**CUSTOMER SERVICE SATISFACTION SURVEY FOR TOWN CLERK'S OFFICE**
We would love your feedback! Please complete the quick 4 question survey by clicking the link.
Marriage License Requirements
Revised November 2017
- You must obtain the marriage license from the town in Connecticut where the ceremony will be performed.
- A marriage license is valid for 65 days. (You must get married within 65 days of applying for your license)
- Applicants that are 16 and 17 years old, the Probate Court Judge of the jurisdiction in which the minor resides must approve the issuance of the marriage license. If approved, the Judge will provide a court document for the minor to give to the Town Clerk. For applicants under 16 years of age, no marriage license may be issued (Effective 10/1/2017).
- Both parties must appear in person to complete an online application, show ID, take an oath and sign the license. You may also complete the application online beforehand by clicking the Marriage License Application link below.
- Who may Join Persons in Marriage? Connecticut General Statute Sec. 46b-22 states that the following person(s) are authorized to perform a marriage ceremony:
- all judges, including out-of-state judges who are authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in their jurisdictions;
- family support magistrates, state referees and justices of the peace who are appointed in Connecticut; and
- all ordained or licensed members of the clergy, belonging to this state or any other state.
- There is no waiting period between applying for and receiving your license.
- Please bring the following and know the following information:
- Date of marriage and location of ceremony
- The name and telephone number of the person performing the ceremony
- Your parents names including your mother's maiden name and their place of birth
- Photo ID such as a driver's license or passport
- $50 license fee (cash, check or credit card) (effective 7/1/2018)
Marriage License Application (getting married)
Revised September 8, 2014
Please note - When you click on the Marriage License Application Link as indicated below, scroll down to the bottom of form and verify that the security code box (captcha) is available. If it is black, reload the page and proceed to complete and submit form.
Please fill out and submit the application online. Upon submission, your application & license will be waiting for you at the Town Clerk's office. For further information, please call the Town Clerk's Office at (860) 647-3037.
- Plan on spending about 20 minutes in the Town Clerk's Office. The office is in the Town Hall at 41 Center St. and open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. No appointment is necessary but please be here no later than 4:30 to allow for processing time.
- We suggest that the couple order and pre-pay an additional $20 for each certified copy of the marriage license, which will be mailed to them automatically upon our receipt of the marriage certificate after the ceremony. A certified copy is required by social security and DMV to make a name change.
- If you want to request a certified copy of a marriage certificate, please click here for requests.
- If you need a list of Justices of the Peace - Manchester Justices of the Peace. You are not required to use a Manchester J.P. - this list is offered as a convenience.
Online request and payment option for a certified copy:
The Town of Manchester does not accept online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached through its website, www.vitalchek.com. An additional $7.00 fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express(r), Discover(r), MasterCard(r) or Visa(r). If you require a vital record to have expedited shipping, you can pay an additional fee to have it sent by UPS.
certificate" section, make sure the order is being submitted to the
Town of Manchester and NOT to Connecticut Dept. of Public Health.
2. The completed application with signature and current ID can be emailed
for more efficient processing rather than faxed. The town email link is below.