Marriage License Requirements
Revised November 2017
- You must obtain the marriage license from the town in Connecticut where the ceremony will be performed.
- A marriage license is valid for 65 days. (You must get married within 65 days of applying for your license)
- Applicants that are 16 and 17 years old, the Probate Court Judge of the jurisdiction in which the minor resides must approve the issuance of the marriage license. If approved, the Judge will provide a court document for the minor to give to the Town Clerk. For applicants under 16 years of age, no marriage license may be issued (Effective 10/1/2017).
- Both parties must appear in person to complete an online application, show ID, take an oath and sign the license. You may also complete the application online beforehand by clicking the Marriage License Application link below.
- Who may Join Persons in Marriage? Connecticut General Statute Sec. 46b-22 states that the following person(s) are authorized to perform a marriage ceremony:
- all judges, including out-of-state judges who are authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in their jurisdictions;
- family support magistrates, state referees and justices of the peace who are appointed in Connecticut; and
- all ordained or licensed members of the clergy, belonging to this state or any other state.
- There is no waiting period between applying for and receiving your license.
- Please bring the following and know the following information:
- Date of marriage and location of ceremony
- The name and telephone number of the person performing the ceremony
- Your parents names including your mother's maiden name and their place of birth
- Photo ID such as a driver's license or passport
- $50 license fee (cash, check or credit card) (effective 7/1/2018)
Marriage License Application
Revised September 8, 2014
Please note - When you click on the Marriage License Application Link as indicated below, scroll down to the bottom of form and verify that the security code box (captcha) is available. If it is black, reload the page and proceed to complete and submit form.
Please fill out and submit the application online. Upon submission, your application & license will be waiting for you at the Town Clerk's office. For further information, please call the Town Clerk's Office at (860) 647-3037.
- Plan on spending about 20 minutes in the Town Clerk's Office. The office is in the Town Hall at 41 Center St. and open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. No appointment is necessary but please be here no later than 4:30 to allow for processing time.
- We suggest that the couple order and pre-pay an additional $20 for each certified copy of the marriage license, which will be mailed to them automatically upon our receipt of the marriage certificate after the ceremony. A certified copy is required by social security and DMV to make a name change.
- If you want to request a certified copy of a marriage certificate, please click here for requests.
- If you need a list of Justices of the Peace - Manchester Justices of the Peace. You are not required to use a Manchester J.P. - this list is offered as a convenience.