COVID-19 - OFFICE PROCEDURE CHANGE:
The office will be staffed and services will be provided to the public by the following methods.
- Notary services will not be available during this time.
Register Notary Appointment Certificate:
- Complete the oath and signing of the Notary Appointment with a notary public.
- Submit the signed and notarized Notary Appointment certificate to the Town Clerk's office for filing. Make sure to include both pages of the certificate.
- Include a check for $20.00 made payable to the Manchester Town Clerk's Office. Or submit a credit card slip.
- Mail or drop off in the drop box at Town Hall (mail to: Manchester Town Clerk, 41 Center Street, Manchester, CT 06040)
- Once our office receives the signed certificate, it will be received for record and mailed back.
- For any questions please call 860-647-3037.
Apostille for notaries:
- Apostille services will not be available during this time.
- Can be obtained through the Secretary of State Dept. See their website for further information/forms. https://portal.ct.gov/SOTS/Legislative-Services/Authentication-of-Documents-and-the-Apostille
We would love your feedback! Please complete the quick 4 question survey by clicking the link.
State of CT Notary Public webpage for manual & updated info: https://portal.ct.gov/SOTS/Business-Services/Notary/Notary-Public-Licensing
Any person who is a resident of Connecticut or who has his/her principal place of business in Connecticut and is eighteen years of age or older, may apply to become a Notary Public in the State of Connecticut. The application for appointment as notary public must be completed in the applicant's own handwriting, and filed, along with the nonrefundable statutory fee of one hundred and twenty dollars ($120.00), with the Office of the Secretary of the State.
The examination is incorporated into the notary public application form and must be completed by each applicant. All questions on the exam must be answered correctly before an applicant will be appointed a notary public. An application may be returned to an applicant for error or incompleteness.
Each notary public is appointed by the Secretary of the State for a term of five years, beginning on the date of appointment and ending of the last day of the anniversary month five years later. The appointment is evidenced by a Certificate of Appointment bearing the notary's name. Upon receiving the Certificate of Appointment, and before performing any notarial act, the notary must take an oath of office. The appointment and oath of office must be recorded within thirty (30) days of having received the Certificate of Appointment with town clerk in the town in which the notary resides. The filing fee for recording the notary's commission and oath is twenty dollars ($20.00). A Name Change or Change of Address must be filed within 30 days of the change to the Secretary of State's Office. ($15.00).
You may obtain a Notary Public Manual from the Secretary of State's office by calling their automated line at (860) 509-6232. You may also visit their webpage at https://portal.ct.gov/SOTS/Business-Services/Notary/Notary-Public-Licensing for additional Notary Public Information and to download forms. The manual is also available in the Manchester Town Clerk's office.